We are a distributed, but highly collaborative studio. This is a remote position.
Be a part of something grand:
Are you a technical problem solver at heart? Obsessed with figuring out the best strategy and solutions within the ecommerce space? Passionate about writing clean code and great communication? Do you have in-depth experience with Magento and Shopify Plus? Want to work with fantastic people and love your job?
Command C’s vision is to be the go-to ecommerce development team of choice by bringing the best project management, strategic partnership and development, and internal tools that provide transparency and clear ROI.
Our systems and process are tight, lean, simple, and smart. Our clients love us. Our team benefits from a workplace where we can bring our authentic selves, that supports ownership thinking, and a healthy work/life balance.
Sound like something you can sink your teeth into?
We are looking for an Ecommerce Technology Lead to join our boutique (everyone wears multiple hats), distributed agency. The successful candidate will work closely with the founder, clients, developers, and the project management team.
As a senior member of our team, we’ll look to you to define, execute, resource, explain, estimate the very best technical solutions for our clients and internal departments alike.
We are a lean but mighty technical studio that does ton of retainer-based work, and a handful of full-scope builds. We are entrepreneurial and hands on – you have the opportunity to build out the technical strategy of the company, do extensive hands on development and build and manage a development team.
Responsibilities across 4 categories:
Technical Expertise & Processes
- Keeping abreast of the latest developments in technology and ecommerce to deliver continuous improvements in our technical capabilities and processes, and contribute fresh ideas to our business strategy
- Participation in internal meetings and vision building to offer overarching technical guidance and strategy for the company (internally and externally for our clients)
- Lead technical discovery, code and accessibility audits
- Identify gaps between OOTB and customization, capable of working with designers and clients to identify the suitable OOTB functionalities
- Establishing, evaluating and ensuring adherence to security protocols with an eye towards scalability and reliability
- Identify and implement strategies to increase efficiency and maximize margins
- Defining and building (or overseeing build) of internal tools and protocols that propel the business forward
Development, 3rd Parties, & QA
- Perform development work as needed and ensuring work is completed to high quality standards, ability to jump in as needed is critical
- Crafting and implementing solutions for integrations
- Interfacing/coordinating with 3rd parties who may be involved with client work
- Establish and oversee QA and quality control processes
Sales & Marketing Support
- Participates in the technical aspect of sales, earn client trust in sales process
- Analyze and estimate client needs, ensuring they fit with objectives and quality standards, and can be delivered with the available resources and budget
- Write thorough and articulate scopes of work, including a timelines, workflow details and more
- Participation in content production (we have an active content strategy as well as a podcast)
People: Processes, Scheduling, Management, and Hiring
- Technical project management: scheduling development work, optimizing development schedules, ensuring realistic timelines are set and exceeded, managing scope
- Develop both the people (hiring and managing) and processes within the technical team to execute work, react to the challenges and to the changing nature of the business
- Evaluate developer’s work and ensure adherence to best practices and processes
- Expert level expertise of architecture, build, deployment of Magento (all versions) and Shopify Plus platforms (other platforms a plus)
- Experience working with open source LAMP platforms, particularly PHP and mySQL, and the use and/or creation of third party libraries and frameworks
- Experience with browser compatibility issues, browser and device testing
- Working knowledge of CSS frameworks and build/workflow tools (SASS/LESS, Grunt/Gulp, etc)
- Expertise with GIT
- Ability to conduct technical discovery, code audits, accessibility audits
- Ability to diagnose and work on issues with code bases that are built by others, propose effective recommendations for mitigating/resolving any issues
- Firm understanding of and ability to speak to the big picture digital commerce ecosystem and related integrations/3rd parties
- Experience working with a large base and mix of retainer clients (30-40 at a given time) and full scope builds
- Experience working in Jira
- Knowledge of SEO best practices from a code/web dev perspective (we are not a digital marketing agency)
- Strong application Server & commerce troubleshooting and problem solving skills
Character & Emotional Skills:
- Self-motivated and analytical thinker; sees solutions rather than obstacles – has an “I can figure it out mentality”
- Good team player who can work with people of all levels / backgrounds
- Ability to juggle many different projects at the same time
- Strong people management and communication skills – verbal and written
- Detail-oriented, strategic thinker and problem solver
- We are a distributed agency (across the east coast of the US) so you must be self-motivated and able to work independently (though we’ll be in touch via Slack and team meetings very often)
- Knowing when and when not to leverage any of the tools/languages listed in the tactical section above (you’re discerning)
- Ability to learn new platforms and systems with agility
- Empathetic, authentic, accessible, fantastic communicator
- Excellent at breaking down technical language into understandable terms
- Uses good judgment and discernment, sets critical boundaries as needed
- Can articulate multiple ways to solve a problem, and outline the pros/cons of each, guiding clients to the best solution for them
- Knows the questions to ask to put together fully articulated scopes of work
- Knows how to handle rescue projects, how to help prioritize in that scenario, understands the challenge mindset of the client
- Ability to lead, organize and execute with little or no direction, deliver commitments on time and within budget, and to work in a team within a fast pace environment
- Significant experience (minimum 5-8 years) in a technical leadership role, preferably in a boutique web/ecommerce agency environment
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of technical architecture and strategy experience in ecommerce
- Experience with BigCommerce, WordPress, and/or Miva, and/or other ecommerce platforms
- Experience managing external resources
- Familiarity with and understanding of B2B as well as B2C
- Exposure to sales, account management or business development
- Experience navigating server environments and working with 3rd party providers
- Commensurate with experience
- Healthcare benefits
- Retirement plan
- Generous PTO
- Potential for future profit share
Please send in your resume, cover letter, and articulate the details of a significant technical problem (writing to a non-technical person) you’ve solved in the past that best represents your work to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please give specific examples of how you align with the job requirements and skills listed above. Please put “I really want to work at Command C” in the subject of the email.